Upward Basketball and Cheerleading is a recreational sports experience built on teaching fundamentals and giving kids a great athletic experience. We have teams for 5K up to 8th grade boys and girls. (5K up to 2nd grade is Co-Ed.) Here are the key components of our league:
- 1 hour of practice a week (Due to the demands on our gym, 5K will not have a weeknight practice. They will use the first half of Saturdays for practice, and then play during the next half.)
- 1 game each week
- weekly team break where coaches instill sound, biblical like skills into their team
- a player-friendly rotation that strive to give each child equal playing time. Older teams (5th – 8th grade) operate on a more subjective rotation
First North along with Lake Bowen Baptist Church is part of the North Division of the Spartanburg County Upward League. All practices will be hosted at these two locations. We will attempt to accommodate your gym preference. Please note your gym preference in the “Comment” section of the registration page. Games will be hosted as follows:
- 5K – 2nd grade in church gyms
- 3rd – 8th grade at the Upward Star Center
Note: Due to other events at the Star Center, there will be a few games for this division at local churches.
Each player and cheerleader must to attend the player/cheerleader orientation and evaluations. We cannot adequately place your child on a team of squad without the information we gather at this event. Please make this a priority.
The player/cheerleader orientation and evaluations will take place at the Upward Star Center on the following dates and times:
- Monday, November 14 between 6:00 P.M. & 8:00 P.M.
- Tuesday, November 15 between 6:00 P.M. & 8:00 P.M.
- Thursday, November 17 between 6:00 P.M. & 8:00 P.M.
- Early Registration fee is $70
- After November 17, the cost is $90
- Shorts and Turtleneck shirts (cheer) are extra
- First Practice: Week of December 5
- First Game: FRIDAY OR SATURDAY, JANUARY 6-7
- Upward Celebration will be announced during the season.
If you have questions, call the church office at 864-578-0509